Tuesday, July 7, 2015

JD DeHart- Three Poems


Human Spoon
 
Resting her head, high above
other trappings of ancient and future
cultures, the carving peers at me,
peels at me,
resembles me and does not.
Asks my name without asking.
A face I have seen before.
Ebony, eyes streaking down, mouth
torn, body sloping into a shovel,
never planted, always digging,
now cast aside with other wares.
Some neighbors:  An old house once
loved, now tiny, shrunk down; elegant
uniforms and umbrellas filed under U,
so delicate in form they could never
be used by our planet’s hands,
as if our ancestors were the ants.
I could attempt to buy her freedom,
lift her from this dust, but the price tag
is far above what I am able to pay,
the look of the shop owner declaring
No other deals are to be made today.

 
Ever Beach

 
Stretched and angular,
feet and hands can feel the beginning
of time, a monkish creature, sitting
in robes that do not seem to touch
earth, an expression that suggests,
Forget your television dreams, your
useless celluloid gods whose names
and titles you collect on the shelves
of your mind, leave behind scrawled
signatures, the many images you
have stowed away, and watch as my
hand stretches to the time of pharaohs
(and even before)
making curls in the dust of time,
forming loops in the beach of ever
when creatures first loped, the glanced
up at the overshadowing sky.
Monk being whose paper-thin face promises
answers to questions I don’t even know.

 
The Snow-Beast

You can still see him hanging out
after hours - soliciting, they call it.
The police come and addle him.
When the scientists first found him, 
everyone
was excited and clamored around,
the photographs, movie of the week,
the book deals, the crying faces, 
streaming tears:  I never thought
I would see anything like this in my 
life-time.
Then interest fell.  The books stopped
selling.  The movie of the week was 
extended into a television series deal,
eventually cancelled.
Now he just shuffles around,
hits on women, begs for bags of chips,
and wonders why
he ever made his presence known.
 
 
 JD DeHart is a writer and teacher.  His chapbook, The Truth About Snails, is available on Amazon.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment